Protecting God's Children
Making sure children and youth are protected and cared for is of utmost importance at St. Magdalen de Pazzi. Our parish strictly follows the policies of the Diocese of Metuchen which ensure Church personnel are committed to providing a safe environment for children and youth, are capable of identifying and preventing abuse of children, and have no personal history of behavior that would be a threat to children. These policies apply to all adults (18 years of age and older) whether clergy, members of consecrated life, or laity, who, as employees or volunteers, act in the name of the Church under the auspices of the Diocese of Metuchen or one of its parishes.
All St. Magdalen’s personnel working with children and youth must complete the following:
Criminal History Background Check through Finger Printing
Fingerprinting through Morpho-Trak must be completed before working with children and youth. Only fingerprinting through the Diocese of Metuchen is acceptable. Anyone who may have been previously fingerprinted as a teacher, coach, nurse, etc., must still go through Morpho-Trak in order to meet the Diocesan requirement. Here’s how:
- Make an appointment at a location and at a time that is convenient for you.
- Pay for the service up front.
- After you are fingerprinted, a code will be placed on your application form.
- Return the volunteer application forms and fingerprinting form with receipt to the Office of the Business Administrator and a reimbursement check will be sent to you in the mail along with your approved application.
- Fingerprinting and background check results are sent directly to the Diocesan Office of Child & Youth Protection.
- Applicants may begin work in the parish only after we receive confirmation from the Diocese of Metuchen. Each applicant will be notified directly by St. Magdalen de Pazzi Church when approved.
An application must be filled out and returned to the Office of the Business Administrator where it will be kept on file indefinitely.
Protecting God’s Children Training
All personnel working with children and youth must participate in a VIRTUS workshop called “Protecting God’s Children.” This workshop educates adults on how to identify and prevent child sexual abuse thereby creating a safer environment in our parish for all our children. Protecting God’s Children is offered at various locations in the diocese, including periodically at St. Magdalen’s. To find a location, date and time, and to sign up online, go to www.virtus.org.
To Get Started
Print out the volunteer application, which can be found in the “Resources” section of the side bar to the right of this page. This application includes:
- MorphoTrak fingerprinting form
- Diocese of Metuchen volunteer application
- Criminal History Background Investigation consent form
- *Volunteer Catechist Application and Personnel Record
- *Catechist Mission Statement and Agreement
*Only for those volunteering as a catechist
Please direct any questions to our business administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org or (908) 751-1728.